An Emergency Medical Science student must possess motor and visual skills that would enable him/her to meet program objectives and perform job duties required in the profession. Specifically, the students:
- Have the ability to communicate effectively and sensitively in order to assess communication and be able to adequately transmit information to the patient and to members of the health care team.
- Possess all the skills necessary to safely and accurately perform all emergency procedures and manipulate equipment.
- Have the ability to lift and move immobile and physically challenged patients.
- Have the ability to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Possess the emotional health required for full utilization of his or her intellectual abilities.
- Have the ability to recognize emergency situations and take appropriate action.