Thank you for your interest in Texas Southmost College (TSC) Medical Laboratory Technology Program (MLT). The enclosed information will explain the requirements for the application process.
- Admission to TSC – Contact the enrollment office for college admission requirements (956) 295-3600.
- Submission of completed Application for Admission to the Allied Health Department/Medical Laboratory Technology Program.
- Submission of testing results that meet TSC testing requirements for admission.
- Submission of two character recommendation forms.
- Documentation of any certification currently held.
Applicants considered will be interviewed by the program Director for an information session on the selection criteria.
Note: A criminal background check, physical exam, CPR certification, Drug screen and up to date immunizations are required prior to admission to the program.
Essential Functions required
- Vision accuracy- The student must be able to read charts and graphs, read instrument scales, discriminate colors, read microscopic materials and record results.
- Clear communication- the student must be able to communicate effectively and sensitively in order to assess non-verbal communication and be able to adequately transmit information to the patient and to all members of the health care team.
- Fine Motor Function- The student must have all the skills necessary to safely and accurately perform all the diagnostic procedures, manipulate tools, instruments, and equipment. Student must be able to perform phlebotomy safely and accurately.
- Psychological Stability- The student must have the emotional health required for full utilization of his or her intellectual abilities. Must be able to recognize emergency situations and take appropriate action.
- BIOL 2301 Anatomy & Physiology I and
- MATH 1314 College Algebra
- CHEM 1305 Intro. to Chemistry I or CHEM 1311 General Chem &
- ENGL 1301 Composition
Selection Criteria: 146 Points Possible
Applicant pool ranking will be based on GPA (based on science prerequisite courses-section 11.3.) (See list below):
- Points for science prerequisites: A = 8, B = 6 and C = 4.
- Points for Math and Composition coursework: A = 4, B = 3, C = 2, D = 1.
- Completion of CHEM 1305 and CHEM 1105: A=12, B=10, C=6 for each.
- Health Care work experience (minimum six months) 10 points; submit documentation.
- Completion of Bachelor degree (50 points).
- Completion of other Associate degree (20 points).
- Transcripts (10 points).
For more information please contact me at
. You can also access information at www.tsc.edu
- Application and all other criteria are due by 12:00 noon, on the last working day of June.
Consuelo Villalon, M.P.H., M.T (AMT)
Medical Laboratory Technology Program Director
Last Updated on Thursday, 16 October 2014 15:05