The Vocational Nursing Program has established its admissions policies in accordance with institutional policy, Texas Board of Nursing “Minimum Standards” and program based policies. The admission policies are as follows:
Criteria for Admission in VN Program
- Meet general TSC admission requirements. (Available in the Office of admission.)
- Students must take and pass the following prerequisite courses to be eligible for consideration into the VN Program:
- HPRS 1101 Introduction to Health Professions(B or Better)
- HPRS 1106 Medical Terminology(B or Better)
- HPRS 1204 Basic Health Professions(B or Better)
- HPRS 1204 Basic Health Professions Skills Lab(B or Better)
- BIOL 2301 Anatomy and Physiology I (B or Better)
- BIOL 2302 Anatomy and Physiology II (B or Better)
- All Prerequisite coursework must be completed prior to the application deadline.
- Pre-entrance testing as required by the Texas Board of Nursing. TSC VN Program requires successful completion of the following exams. a. T.S.I. (demonstrating college readiness) b. VN Pre-Entrance Exam test (Minimum cumulative score of 75% and minimum of 70% in each area)
- Application to the Vocational Nursing Program, completed in its entirety.
- A complete Vocational Nursing Immunization record will be required prior to the acceptance to the Program.
- Mandatory attendance to the program orientation at the scheduled time and prior to starting classes if you are accepted to the Vocational Nursing Program.
- Once accepted, the advising department will register you for classes in accordance with the College schedule.
- Payment of all fees, tuition, and liability insurance premium is the responsibility of the student.
- All students must clear a criminal background (security clearance) check.
*All documents submitted become property of the College upon receipt. All information contained in the application is to be true and correct. It is to be understood that any misrepresentation of the facts will make the applicant ineligible for admission.
- Individuals wishing to apply to the Licensed Vocational Nursing Program must take and pass the HESI Admission Assessment Exam. HESI Admission Assessment Exam Study Guides are available in the following link: https://goo.gl/XbBu3j
- To register for the VN Pre – Entrance Exam students must call the Testing Center at 956-295-3660 to get inforamtion. Sign up early because there are only 20 openings per test date.
- Results from the Admission Assessment Exam can be obtained from the TSC testing center on the day of the exam. There is a $40 fee to take the exam. The Admission Assessment Exam may be taken as many times as needed, however, there is a 30 day waiting period between exams.
- Examinees must report to the computer lab assigned on their schedule test date.
- It is your responsibility to obtain a TSC admissions application from the Enrollment Office in Oliveira Student Center or online. Financial aid applications may be obtained from the Financial Aid Office in the Oliveira Student Center.
YOU MUST PRESENT TWO PHOTO ID – BEARING IDENTIFICATION TO BE ADMITTED TO THE TEST.
VN Pre-ENTRANCE EXAM DESCRIPTION
The HESI Admission Assessment Exam tests program applicants in three main academic areas — English Language, Math, Science — and two personal assessment areas. The examination is used in conjunction with other criteria for screening prospective applicants to the VN program.
- Reading Comprehension
Provides reading scenarios in order to measure reading comprehension, identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words in context, passage comprehension, making logical inferences, etc.
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge
Contains vocabulary terms that are commonly used in both general English-speaking settings and in health care fields.
Contains basic grammar, including parts of speech, important terms and their uses, commonly occurring grammatical errors, etc.
- Basic Math Skills
Focuses on math skills needed for health care fields, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion, household measures, general math facts, etc.
Covers biology basics, water, biological molecules, metabolism, cells, cellular respiration, photosynthesis, etc.
Contains test items that cover matter, chemical equations and reactions, the periodic table, atomic structure, nuclear chemistry, chemical bonding, etc.
- Anatomy and Physiology
Provides coverage of general terminology and anatomical structures and systems.